As promised, the release of the fifth major patch for the fantasy role-playing game Baldur’s Gate 3 from the Belgian Larian Studios was not long in coming. Huge update already available for download on PC and PS5.
The patch size is about 30GB, but all 130GB is required for installation. If there is not enough free space, Larian advises Uninstall Baldur’s Gate 3 and download it with the update.
The developers of Baldur’s Gate 3 describe the fifth patch as the most extensive in terms of functions. Here are the most important ones:
- The Epilogue is a new section whose events take place six months after the end of the game. Gives you the opportunity to say goodbye to your favorite characters, contains 3589 lines of dialogue;
- Bravery Mode – makes the game more difficult. Bosses have new abilities, but there is only one save file, which is deleted when a group of heroes dies.
- customizable game mode – allows you to choose the main parameters of your future gameplay;
- The villain Orin’s appearance can now be purchased and applied to any character;
- Since the player is in camp, he can now access the inventory of any companion – even one who is not currently in the squad.
The update also brings a number of performance improvements, including fixing a nasty bug that caused long delays when executing actions in the game’s third act.
Improvements in this aspect include:
- Improve gaming performance on PCs with little RAM and video memory;
- the appearance of dynamic resolution on PS5;
- Eliminate a memory leak when unloading (e.g. due to switching to a different region) a visual element when playing a facial animation;
- Improved performance when opening the radial menu to cast spells;
- Optimization of the level of detail for various objects;
- Reducing memory consumption of game objects and user interface (at resolutions of 1080p and lower);
- Optimization of off-screen protocols to prevent jumps in frame delivery time during teleportation to the third act;
- improved video memory usage by optimizing lighting and some textures;
- improved performance when loading objects in the Undercity;
- improved water physics performance;
- increased clarity of surface textures at resolutions below 1080p;
- “many, many others” Fixes leaks and optimizes performance.
The fifth patch also brought numerous fixes, adjustments, and other changes to various aspects of the game. It turns out the full list was so large that it didn’t fit into the Steam release available here.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is already available on PC and macOS on Steam and GOG as well as on PS5. The release on Xbox Series X and S is expected in December. Since its release in August, more than 1.3 million people have played the game.