NVIDIA grabbed an even larger share of the discrete graphics
Hardware

NVIDIA grabbed an even larger share of the discrete graphics card market – leaving Intel and AMD for 12% for two

Recently, thanks to a report by the analysis agency Jon Peddie Research (JPR), it became known that the supply of graphics processors of all types collapsed by 25% in one fell swoop in the third quarter. Thanks to all the same analysts, it is now known how the discrete graphics card market has changed over the same period. In short, it dropped even more, and AMD gave NVIDIA a serious slice of that market.

    Image source: WCCFTech

Image source: WCCFTech

The discrete graphics market has plummeted. In the third quarter of 2022, graphics card shipments totaled just 14 million units, down 41.6% from the same quarter last year, when shipments were 24 million. And a quarter earlier, the situation in the market was much better – in the second quarter of 2022, 19 million discrete graphics cards were shipped.

Mobile and desktop graphics card shipments were split evenly – 7 million cards were shipped in each segment. At the same time, desktop cards dominated: a quarter earlier, their shipments were 10 million versus 8.6 million mobile video cards; and in Q3 2022, 13 million desktop accelerators were shipped compared to 11.6 million mobile discrete accelerators.

At the same time, NVIDIA managed to significantly increase its presence in the discrete graphics card market – its share in the third quarter was 88%, up 8 percentage points from the previous quarter. As a result, AMD was left with just 8% of the discrete graphics market, although its share was 15% in the second quarter. And the remaining 4% was occupied by Intel.

In the desktop segment, AMD does a little better – it took 10% here. The remaining nine-tenths of the market were shared by NVIDIA with an 86% share and Intel with 4%. As for the mobile segment, NVIDIA’s dominance here is even stronger — the company owns 90% of the market, while Intel and AMD share the remaining 10% equally.

Total shipments of GPUs, both discrete and integrated, both mobile and desktop, have been declining rapidly since Q2 2021. Then there was a sharp drop in the third quarter, in 2022 the market was relatively stable until the first quarter of this year, but after that it started falling again. This is apparently due to the economic and geopolitical instability in the world.

Analysts expect GPU sales to fall even further next year. In 2024 the market will be consistently low and the recovery will only start in 2025. But the growth will not be very significant. The PC market has been through tough times: During the pandemic, the demand for PCs skyrocketed, and now the demand has fallen sharply. Mining has had a direct impact on the GPU market, driving high discrete graphics sales. Now the market is flooded with cheap used graphics cards from miners, and there are more than enough new accelerators in stores now, but they’re overcharging for some.

RELATED TOPICS

About the author

Dylan Harris

Dylan Harris is fascinated by tests and reviews of computer hardware.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment