resource representative WCCF Tech managed to delve a little deeper into a complex analysis report Jon Peddie Research, which describes the state of play in the delivery of graphics solutions in the last quarter. For example, it turned out that in the desktop segment of discrete graphics cards, NVIDIA had to continuously reduce its share from 84% to 80%, while AMD strengthened its position from 12% to 17%.
Sequentially, as mentioned today, discrete desktop GPU shipments increased 2.9% to 6.44 million, but declined 36% year over year from about 10 million units. Significantly, Intel, which is considered a relative newcomer to the market segment, barely strayed from its 2 percent share of the discrete desktop graphics card market last year, but managed to briefly double its share in the first quarter of this year. Incidentally, NVIDIA also strengthened its market positions from 78% to 80% year over year.
Shipments of integrated graphics solutions in the desktop segment were capped at nearly 10 million units in the second quarter, while Intel products made up 88% of the segment and AMD controlled the remaining 12%. While Intel’s share was 90% a quarter ago, it was capped at 87% a year earlier. Sales in this market segment declined with the number of PCs sold, and the delivery volume of integrated graphics solutions in the desktop segment fell by a factor of one and a half over the course of the year.
Of the 61.56 million PC graphics solutions shipped in the second quarter, only 16.52 million were in the desktop segment. Of these, 6.44 million were discrete. Among them were 0.7 million products in the workstation segment, 2.19 million GPUs were sold in the high-end range, 2.59 million in the mid-range range and the first was satisfied with only 0.97 million units sold.
The notebook segment accounted for more than 45 million PC graphics solutions shipped in the second quarter. Of these, 38.7 million units were shipped integrated and 4.65 million units were the most expensive models in the discrete segment. No information is available on the average price range, the original corresponded to only 0.85 million units sold. In the workstation segment, only 0.81 million mobile graphics solutions were shipped.
Taking into account all desktop graphics solutions, including the integrated ones, 16.52 million of them were shipped according to the second quarter results. Of these, due to the proliferation of CPUs of this brand, 55% went to Intel, 31% to NVIDIA and AMD was content with 14%.
Intel also dominates the notebook segment, which accounted for 45 million graphics solutions shipped in the second quarter, with 72% of the market. AMD has been able to steadily increase its share in this case from 14% to 15%, but controlled 22% of the segment a year ago. As it turns out, given the proliferation of mobile processors with integrated graphics from the competition, NVIDIA controls just 13% of the market in the notebook segment. However, if you only look at discrete graphics cards for laptops, NVIDIA comes in at an impressive 94%, while Intel and AMD are content with 3% each. Incidentally, Intel started its decline in this segment a year ago with an 8% market share, but in the first quarter of this year it was already content with just 5% of the market for discrete graphics cards in laptops.
Integrated graphics solutions for notebooks sold almost 39 million units in the last quarter. At the same time, Intel accounted for 84% of the market, and AMD is content with 16% for the second straight quarter, despite occupying a quarter of the segment a year earlier.
In the mobile CPU segment, AMD’s results for the last quarter were less than three times behind Intel’s share (11.97 million vs. 32.36 million units), while in the desktop segment the gap was slightly more than double (2.85 vs 6.38 million units), at the same time the total volume of shipments of client PCs rose steadily by 15% from 46.59 to 53.55 million units in the last quarter.