Organized by representatives WCCF Tech an exciting and confusing foray into the world of statistics Jon Peddie Research did not limit itself to examining the dynamics of shipments of graphics solutions in the desktop and mobile segments of the market. Separate slides of the original report were devoted to the server segment, which made it possible to find out that NVIDIA now controls more than 95% of the server accelerator market.
According to analysts at Jon Peddie Research, NVIDIA shipped more than 300,000 server GPUs last quarter, the vast majority of which were used to accelerate computing. For Intel and AMD combined, no more than 10,000 to 20,000 accelerators remain. Significantly, AMD has drastically reduced its shipment volumes both sequentially and year-on-year. Intel saw shipments spike in the fourth quarter of last year, possibly related to an order to build a large supercomputer.
Third-party sources predict that NVIDIA will ship no more than 500,000 compute accelerators to its customers by the end of this year, and next year that number is expected to at least triple. The company already derives 76% of all revenue from server accelerator sales, although quantitatively their shipment volumes are about 17 times smaller than discrete graphics shipment volumes in the desktop segment, according to data from Jon Peddie Research. According to NVIDIA’s quarterly 10-Q report, server GPU revenue more than tripled year over year in the most recent quarter and more than doubled in the first half of the year.
If we assess the dynamics of the market for central server processors, shipments increased sequentially by 18% to 7.2 million units, although the market still cannot reach the results of a year ago (9 million processors). Intel’s server CPU products accounted for 84% of the market last quarter, while AMD made up the remaining 16%. According to Jon Peddie Research stats, AMD stock peaked at 19% of the market in the fourth quarter of last year.