At the recent Nintendo Direct conference, the company showcased new gameplay for upcoming platformer Super Mario Bros. Marvel. To commemorate the release of this game, the Nintendo Switch handheld console gets a new bright red design. A special OLED edition of the console will be released on October 6th, two weeks before the release of the new Mario Wonder game starring the legendary plumber.
The handheld console gets a fresh design that matches the image of Mario as much as possible – the console itself, the docking station and the Joy-Con controllers are painted in the iconic color Mario Red. Mario’s silhouette will be embossed on the back of the dock and this special edition is completed with a few game coins hidden under the back of the dock.
The model will cost $350. Pre-orders are now open on the Nintendo website.
These special edition consoles are not uncommon for Nintendo, having previously released a special Mario-themed Switch version for Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury. And recently, Tears of the Kingdom fans got their hands on an elaborate Zelda-style handheld console.
The October release of Mario Wonder marks the end of a big year for playable character Mario, which saw the opening of the theme park and the release of Super Mario Bros. Movie.
Some interesting facts about Mario:
- Mario is the most recognizable character in video games;
- Mario was one of the first characters introduced in Game Alley in 2005, along with Sonic and Link;
- Mario is the first video game character to appear in the famous Hollywood wax museum.
- Mario is ranked fourth among playable characters in the list of the 100 Greatest Characters of All Time;
- Mario took first place in the list of the top fifty computer game characters from the Guinness Book of Records.
In addition to being a plumber, Mario managed to try his hand at being a carpenter, doctor, builder, waiter, artist, athlete, coach and referee.