Starfield was supposed to be Microsoft’s biggest release of 2022, but the forced postponement forced the platform holder to look elsewhere to fill the gap for Game Pass users.
Court documents released as part of the US Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) case against the deal between Microsoft and Activision Blizzard Make clearhow much it costs Microsoft to add blockbusters like GTA V to Game Pass.
The table of potential Game Pass replacements for Starfield details not only the estimated cost of adding the game to the service, but also the likelihood of the deal closing, the “wow factor” of the project, and notes on how to do so.
Microsoft’s expected deal value for adding the game to Game Pass:
- Star Wars Jedi: Survivor – $300 million;
- Mortal Kombat 1 – $250 million;
- Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League – $250 million;
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage – $100 million;
- Dying Light 2 Stay Human – more than $50 million;
- Gotham Knights (to be added October 2023) – $50 million;
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (added in December) – $35 million (or more);
- Dragon Ball: The Breakers – more than $20 million;
- Grand Theft Auto V (added for the third time in July 2023) – $12-15 million per month;
- Wreckfest 2 – $10-14 million;
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (ninth generation console version, not yet released) – $5 million per month;
- Just Dance 2022 – $5 million;
- Let’s Sing ABBA – $5 million;
- Return to Monkey Island (added in November) – $5 million;
- Expeditions: A MudRunner Game – $5 million;
- Glitch Busters: Stuck on You – $5 million;
- Baldur’s Gate 3 – $5 million
It was also said that the fantasy role-playing game from Larian Studios was significantly underestimated at Microsoft “Second Run RPG”. “The [$5 млн за добавление в Game Pass] extremely wrong judgment. Someone obviously didn’t do their homework.”— stated Larian CEO Swen Vincke.
In a correspondence, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer called the situation with major Xbox releases in 2022 a real disaster and also suggested closing the gap with the Dark Souls trilogy (after the success of Elden Ring).
The leak of confidential emails lifts the curtain on the secretive video game industry and offers an opportunity (not the first in recent days) to take a look behind the scenes at Microsoft.