God of War Ragnarok surpasses Elden Ring and Modern Warfare

God of War Ragnarok surpasses Elden Ring and Modern Warfare 2 in UK retail sales but lags behind the crowd pleaser

Portal of the game industry shared information on the sale of retail editions of games in the United Kingdom for the period 6-12 November of the current year. The week was marked by a couple of big releases.

    Image source: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Image source: Sony Interactive Entertainment

The week’s top-selling action-adventure God of War Ragnarok launched in UK retail at a record pace for the series. The launch was the second largest in the current year.

The result achieved allowed God of War to overtake Ragnarok, Elden Ring, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Pokemon Legends: Arceus, but FIFA 23 lost in first week sales.

A few more God of War Ragnarok stats at UK retail:

  • 82% of the copies sold were on PS5, the remaining 18% on PS4;
  • 12% of PS5 sales came from the official bundle with the console (representing 60% of all PS5s sold during the period);
  • the game brought the PS5 the most successful week of the current year;
  • First week sales were 51% higher than God of War (2018);
  • in a week, the game has already reached third place in sales (and second in terms of sales) within the entire series.

    Image Source: Steam

Image Source: Steam

As for other releases, platformer Sonic Frontiers debuted at fourth place, outperforming Sonic Forces by 5% in first-week sales. The game was most popular on PS5 (40% of copies sold) and Switch (34%).

Also during the period, several projects of smaller caliber debuted: Football Manager 2023 (11th row), PS4 version of Stray (23rd), Tactics Ogre: Reborn (24th) and Cobra Kai 2: Dojos Rising (28th I).

The top 10 UK retail charts from 6th to 12th November are as follows (last week’s result in brackets):

  1. god of war Ragnarok (new);
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (1);
  3. FIFA 23 (2);
  4. Sonic Frontiers (new);
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (3);
  6. Nintendo Switch Sport (4);
  7. Horizon Forbidden West (12);
  8. Splatoon 3 (5);
  9. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (7);
  10. Minecraft (8).

About the author

Alan Foster

Alan Foster covers computers and games and all the news in the gaming industry.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment