Although there is still a month and a half left until the end of 2023, the organizers of the Golden Joystick Awards are ready Summarize his game results Now. The results of the ceremony, which took place on the evening of November 10, the 41st ceremony of its kind, can be found in this material.
Unlike many major awards, including the Game Awards, the winners of the 2023 Golden Joystick Awards were chosen primarily by gamers (in two categories, the awards were decided by a jury). And what they liked the most in 2023 was Baldur’s Gate 3.
The fantasy role-playing game from Belgian Larian Studios was presented in six nominations (twice in the Best Supporting Actor category) and scored in all nominations, with Larian becoming the best studio.
Baldur’s Gate 3 was nominated for Best Narrative, Best Visual Design, Best Supporting Actor, Best Community, Best PC Game and Game of the Year.
The full list of Golden Joystick Awards 2023 winners can be found below:
- Best Story: Baldur’s Gate 3;
- Best Multiplayer Game: Mortal Kombat 1;
- Best Visual Design: Baldur’s Gate 3;
- Best Sound: Final Fantasy XVI;
- Best Actor: Ben Starr for his role as Clive Rosfield in Final Fantasy XVI;
- Best Supporting Actor: Neil Newbon for his role as Astarion in Baldur’s Gate 3;
- Best Gaming Community: Baldur’s Gate 3;
- Best add-on: Phantom Liberty for Cyberpunk 2077;
- Best Indie Game: Sea of Stars;
- Best VR Game: Horizon Call of the Mountain;
- Best game according to streamers: Valorant;
- Best Game Trailer (New Category): Cinematic Trailer for Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty;
- Breakthrough of the Year: Cocoon;
- Still running: No Man’s Sky;
- Best Gaming Hardware: PlayStation VR2;
- Best PC Game: Baldur’s Gate 3;
- Best game on PlayStation: Resident Evil 4;
- Best Xbox Game: Starfield;
- Best Nintendo Game: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom;
- Most Anticipated Game: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth;
- Studio of the Year: Larian Studios;
- Critics’ Prize: Alan Wake II;
- Game of the Year: Baldur’s Gate 3.
In his acceptance speech after the winner was announced, Baldur’s Gate 3 director and Larian Studios head Swen Vincke addressed the question of why his team started making games in the first place.
“There’s nothing better than when your game can impact someone’s life, help them escape reality for a while, and bring them fun.” That’s why we do it, just like you.”Vincke turned to the audience.
The 2023 Golden Joystick Awards broadcast lasted just over two hours – their complete recording can be viewed on GamesRadar’s YouTube channel. Like a year before, the show was hosted by actor Troy Baker, but this time without a partner.