The Ryzen 9 7940HS mobile processor’s AMD Radeon 780M integrated graphics was named the most powerful integrated graphics for mobile devices. This opinion was shared in particular by the YouTube channel ETA Prime, which received a review of the 2023 model ASUS TUF A15 laptop. The novelty was tested in a variety of AAA games, as well as in some synthetic tests.
Remember that the Phoenix series Ryzen 9 7940HS has 8 Zen 4 cores with support for 16 virtual threads. The processor has a base frequency of 4.0 GHz and can be automatically overclocked up to 5.2 GHz on a single core. The chip’s total cache memory is 40 MB. The processor is equipped with integrated graphics Radeon 780M on the RDNA 3 architecture, which uses 12 execution units and works at a frequency of up to 2800 MHz.
The 2023 ASUS TUF A15 laptop featured in the ETA Prime test comes with 32GB of DDR5-4800 RAM. The DDR5-5600 operating mode was set for this by the RAM overclocking profile. Technically, the Ryzen 9 7940HS processor supports even faster memory, up to LPDDR5-7500. According to the reviewer’s observations, the Radeon 780M 12-E unit is faster than the desktop GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, which according to the Steam platform statistics is still popular with many gamers.
In many running games, the Radeon 780M delivered over 60 fps at 1080p with 12 UEs. Graphics quality settings ranged from maximum to low depending on the game. AMD FSR scaling technology was also used in some cases. In The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the “plug-in” delivered 120 FPS on high graphics settings. And this is how it looks in other games:
- Crysis Remastered (1080p/High) – 71 FPS on average;
- World of Warcraft (1080p/”Max”) – 98 fps on average;
- Genshin Impact (1080p/High) – 60 FPS on average;
- Spiderman Miles Morales (1080p/Low) – 74 fps on average;
- Dirt 5 (1080p/low) – 71 fps average;
- Ghostwire Tokyo (1080p/Low) – 58 fps avg.
- Borderlands 3 (1080p/Medium) – 73 fps on average;
- God of War (1080p/”Standard”/AMD FSR “Balance”) – 68 fps on average;
- God of War (1080p/Standard/Native) – 58 fps avg.
- Mortal Kombat 11 (1080p/High) – 60 FPS on average;
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (1080p/Low/AMD FSR Performance) – 71 FPS on average;
- CSGO (1080p/high) – Average 138 FPS;
- GTA V (1080p / “Very High”) – 81 FPS on average;
- Forza Horizon 5 (1080p/High) – 86 fps on average;
- Fortnite (1080p/Medium) – 78 FPS on average;
- Doom Eternal (1080p/Medium) – Average 83 FPS;
- Horizon Zero Dawn (1080p/performance) – 69 fps on average;
- COD: MW2 (1080p/”recommended”/AMD FSR 1) – 106 fps average;
- Cyberpunk 2077 (1080p/Medium-Low) – 65 FPS on average.
In synthetic tests, the Radeon 780M couldn’t catch up with the mobile GeForce RTX 1060 and GeForce RTX 2050, scoring just 3000 points in 3DMark Time Spy. Competitors in the same test showed scores of about 3.7 thousand and 3.2 thousand points, respectively.
It is noted that the power consumption of the Ryzen 9 7940HS processor during gaming and synthetic tests did not exceed 70 watts. It should also be noted that the tests were carried out with a beta version of the graphics driver.
AMD will release an official driver for the Radeon 780M this week when the first laptops with Ryzen 7040 series processors hit shelves.