Gadgets

AMD loses ground in the desktop CPU market, gaining ground in the server and mobile segments

Data from an analytical report by Mercury Research on the market for x86-compatible processors in value terms has become available to a narrow circle of subscribers, and this allows you to determine where AMD is focusing its efforts to promote products in the second quarter. Progress in the server and mobile segments has accompanied the weakening of the company’s position in the desktop segment.

Image source: AMD

Image source: AMD

A few days ago it became known that the share of AMD processors in terms of revenue in the market of x86-compatible solutions as a whole in the second quarter increased sequentially by 0.8 percentage points to 16.9%, while in annual comparison the progress was immediately 7.3 percentage points. This is the highest value since the fourth quarter of 2006 – in other words, a fifteen-year high.

Image source: Hardware Times

Image source: Hardware Times

The authors of the study along the way lead AMD’s share in the client (15.8%) and server (11.6%) segments. They grew almost simultaneously in sequential comparison (0.7 and 0.8 percentage points) and on an annualized basis (4.1 and 4.7 percentage points, respectively). At the same time, experts from Mercury Research determined the share of Intel and AMD in physical terms, taking into account the number of processors for various purposes shipped in the second quarter.

Image source: Twitter, Dylan Patel

Image source: Twitter, Dylan Patel

Solutions for the Internet of Things do not fall into any of the considered categories, but the server segment showed an increase in AMD’s share by 0.6 percentage points sequentially and by 3.7 percentage points year-on-year, to 9.5%. A little more, and the share of AMD will exceed the psychologically important mark of 10%.

Image source: Twitter, Dylan Patel

Image source: Twitter, Dylan Patel

The mobile segment was also a growth direction for AMD in the second quarter, as the company’s market share sequentially increased by 1.9 percentage points to 20%, and in annual comparison – by only 0.1 percentage points. In fact, AMD released one in five x86-compatible mobile processors worldwide in the second quarter.

Image source: Twitter, Dylan Patel

Image source: Twitter, Dylan Patel

The desktop segment was not among AMD’s priorities, as the company here in the second quarter weakened its position by 2.3 percentage points in sequential comparison and by 2.1 percentage points year-on-year. Now AMD can claim only 17.1% of the desktop processor market, while Intel holds the remaining 82.9%, since the VIA nominally present in the segment does not actually affect the statistics.

About the author

Johnson Smith

Johnson Smith is interested in Home Theater & Audio, Smart Tech, Google News & Products, How To, Apple News & Products, Cell Phones, Automotive Technology.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment